Tuesday 15 December 2009

Films I love but can't watch.

I was recently thinking, there are some things in my life that I know to be brilliant really adore, but can not enjoy for whatever reason.

REQUIEM FOR A DREAM
Okay, so I bought this movie, watched it, loved it. Watched it several times, loved it each time. A few of the times when I was particularly engrossed, I cried at the end. But then, one night, it happened. Following a girly night in with one friend and A LOT of wine, we decided to put it on, both passed out, and both woke up drunk and ready to be sick. I mean, I'm eighteen now and never been a big drinker, and every time I do drink, I can handle it well. Like really well! Like no sickness, no hangover. But there I am, in pain, on my sofa, watching two heroin addicts smoke in their dirty car, while one shoots up in an extremely infected vein. The character's are sweaty and smelly and dirty and doing disgusting things (for those who've seen it, you know how disturbing the final act of the movie is). So yeah, I was sick and felt sick for the rest of the night, and now, I can never watch that film again. Maybe in 5 years? 10 years? I dunno, maybe, but I know this film is amazing, I just can't watch it.

JACKASS: THE MOVIE
The reason I can't watch this film isn't due to one particular incident, but more the time period it reminds me of. I first watched this movie on the morning after my friend's 13th birthday sleepover. It was hilarious, and three days later my Dad died.
I later did go through a big Jackass phase, MTV2 late at night, dvds, wild boyz, but even so, those days weren't nice for me. I just remember being 14/15 and starting to constantly be aware of how ugly I felt, how fat I felt; the sadness of feeling left out among friends. The beginning of my eating disorder.

"BITTER SWEET SYMPHONY" MUSIC VIDEO
Not technically a movie, but what can ya do. My Dad's favourite song and a video he absolutely LOVED. You get the idea.

THE BEE GEES
Sweet memories of a happy childhood, great kitsch music, makes me emotional.

No comments:

Post a Comment